Coordinator, Consumer Sales & Marketing
Penguin Random House Canada has an excellent opportunity for a proactive and detail - oriented individual to join the Consumer Marketing Development team as a Coordinator, Consumer Sales & Marketing on a one-year contract. We are looking for someone who: loves retail; is interested in consumer behaviour; and has a passion for books and storytelling, and a willingness to share this passion with others. This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in a new type of store: part gift shop, part book store...all R&D lab.
In this role, you will work with the Project Manager, Consumer Sales & Marketing on initiatives that focus on three key areas that relate to the Penguin Shop:
- Front-line consumer acquisition
- Consumer marketing
- Direct-to-consumer sales in-store and through adjacent projects
Play a key role in our consumer sales and marketing development activities, working as our primary bookseller and Penguin Shop brand ambassador.
Provide excellent customer service and a welcoming environment to casual browsers and destination visitors alike, going above and beyond for our most specialized customers.
- Provide reporting -- both data-driven and anecdotal -- on store sales, marketing efforts and consumer behaviour to the project manager and wider company.
- Work with the project manager on day-to-day Penguin Shop operations, including:
- Maintaining merchandising standards, suggest updates for themes and displays, and contribute ideas to the merchandising calendar.
- Supporting the project manager with inventory management.
- Monitoring and fulfilling online orders through Shopify, communicating issues and needs to the project manager.
- Communicating updates and changes in processes to volunteer staff.
- Providing training and support for volunteer staff.
- Work with the project manager on Penguin Shop projects, including:
- Pop-up shops.
- Merchandise development in collaboration with internal design teams and external partners.
- Local initiatives in partnership with Toronto’s independent bookstores in collaboration with Penguin Random House Canada’s independent retail sales team.
- Assist with Penguin Shop marketing, including ownership of PenguinShopTO Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts, working with the team to produce content for shop channels, such as newsletters, blog posts, staff picks, etc.
- Contribute ideas for consumer insights integration into the shop (ex. Loyalty programs, experiment design, customer surveying) based on in-store interactions and observations.
- Contribute ideas for digital product development for the shop (website, apps, etc.)
- You love retail and are excited about the possibilities offered through a store that is part bookstore and part R&D lab.
- You read widely and are passionate about books.
- You take initiative and are eager to communicate observations, make suggestions, and bring ideas forward based on what you learn.
- You have excellent coordination and organizational skills, and can motivate yourself (and others) to get things done.
- You are interested in social media and its role in retail and consumer acquisition.
- You are comfortable with data (and uncomfortable without it).
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 19th, 2017. Please include:
- Your cover letter & resume attached as a PDF.
- A short recommendation for a book you love (250 words or less).
- Information about where you saw this posting.
The subject line of your email should be: Coordinator, Consumer Sales & Marketing, followed by your first and last name.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.